A classic South African dessert that is loved by many, this carmel peppermint chocolate dessert is always a crowd pleaser! There are two options to this dessert, the individual servings or one big tart! I love the individual portions if you’re having guests over. I think it’s always nice when each person can have their own dessert.
Makes 10 – 12 mini desserts OR 1 Large Dessert – Preparation Time: 20 Minutes – Refrigeration Time: Minimum 1 Hour
- 200g Digestive Biscuits
- 100g Butter (melted)
- 250 ml Fresh Cream
- 1 can/375g of Caramel (this needs to be a thick consistency)
- Peppermint Crisp Chocolate (any peppermint chocolate substitute you can find)
Grate or chop the chocolate into small chunks and set aside.
Crush the biscuits in a food processor or you can put them in a zip lock bag and crush them with a heavy object, such as a rolling pin. Melt the butter and add it to the crushed biscuits (this step is optional for the individual tarts).
Whip the fresh cream until it is quite stiff and set aside.
Next, put the caramel into a bowl and give it a whisk to loosen it up so that it can mix easier into the cream.
Now fold the cream and caramel together. Add half of your chopped chocolate into the cream caramel mixture and keep the other half aside.
To assemble, you are going to layer the biscuits and cream caramel mixture until you finish all the ingredients. Top with the rest of the chocolate.
To Make a Large Tart follow these steps:
1. For a large tart, layer the biscuits without any butter or for mini desserts, crush the biscuits and mix with melted butter
2. Whip cream and caramel separately (just enough to loosen up the caramel and stiff peaks for cream)
3. Fold caramel into whipped cream (for a large tart, mix 3/4 of chocolate into cream mixture and layer with biscuits)
4. For mini desserts, layer the chocolate after the biscuits and then the cream mixture
5. Sprinkle remaining chocolate on top of tart.